Monday, October 11, 2010

Part 2. Recruiting: Newbies

Newbies
Part 1 was all about the FASTEST way to GROW a tech team.  This post is about “newbies”.  We were all "newbies" at some point, and we really don't have a desire to create a secret handshake club.  In fact, one of the most fun things about doing this tech arts ministry is seeing someone "get it".  Whether its understanding signal flow or creating their first lighting cue, seeing someone excited to learn a tech arts trick is pretty satisfying.  And its even more satisfying to see them down the line become an integral part of the team. 
Students
This is all breaks down pretty quick.  I mean, with students, I treat the recruiting process very differently because I’m assuming they all have no experience, but the training process is pretty much the same.  Discipleship model. 
1. They WATCH an experienced operator.
2. They work WITH an experienced operator.
3. The experienced operator WATCHES them operate.
4. They graduate when I feel confident about them, and they feel confident
During the training all “5 necessary qualities” are observed and judged.

Newbies
So, what do you do when you get someone with zero experience?
I like to let inexperienced recruits come up and look around and identify what they are interested in during rehearsal times.  I don’t like to try to force someone into lighting control or a large format digital console (ever tried to train someone with zero experience on a Yamaha 01V96?).  I have had a few good experiences with this.  One guy after spending 2 weeks looking around during rehearsals and Sundays looked very bright eyed and eager, not at all scared off – asked me, “OK, whats the HARDEST position?  And where are you MOST in need?”  This question, combined with his work experience led me to point out the video presenter position.  So, he began sitting in with the regularly scheduled video operators for several consecutive weeks (his request), and ended up nabbing his first Sunday as the main operator when our regularly scheduled operator got sick (again, his request).  He did a fantastic job!
Several things about this guy showed to be ready for us to put him in on his own.
1. Dependable.  He ALWAYS showed up when he said he would.  He was ALWAYS on time.
2. Desire to SERVE. He was all high fives and good times.  He really enjoyed doing a “good job”.
3. Teachable.  Never insisted “I already know what I’m doing” before he demonstrated it (note - a “let me do it, I already know what I’m doing” attitude is one that sends up red flags to me when its early on)
4. Caring. He was cool under pressure, and used kind, gracious words when getting corrections or directions from the stage
5. Big Picture. He never got bogged down in prettying up his script – no matter what he was working on, he was conscientious during rehearsals about the confidence screen for the talent.
This all sounds familiar…

No comments:

Post a Comment