Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Right Tools For The Job

The Right Tools For The Job
This weekend I got the opportunity to do some mixing at Pure Mix Studios, right here in Raleigh, NC.  This studio has the best of everything.  I came away from this weekend re-evaluating some things.  It was also a great illustration for the importance of having the proper acoustics and equipment in our churches.  So, let me sum it up first:
Without the right tools (room acoustics, proper system design, quality components, great source material) it does not matter how skilled the audio guy is.
First of all, because of what I was working with (SSL console, Wes Lachot designed acoustic room, Dynaudio M3A soffit mount mains, and great source material), getting to a really great mix quickly was remarkably easy.  Why?  Mainly because I could truly HEAR what I was doing!  Just go to Pure Mix’s gear list, if you want to see more detail about what is there. 
The bottom line is, with the right room, the right speakers, and the right console/signal path, someone with a fairly basic knowledge of mixing can make a REALLY great mix.  The opposite of this statement is true, which was a really encouraging revelation to me.  3 & ½ years of mixing in a gymnatorium with a very poorly designed loudspeaker system… it can really get you down man.   But driving home Friday night listening to a CD-R reference in the car, I was reminded that, hey, I really am actually pretty good at this mixing thing.   
Another thing I noticed:  I got to A/B the sound of Pro Tools summing inside the box vs. summing on the SSL (through the buss compressor by the way).  I used to think Pro Tools HD sounded pretty good.  Now I know.  Hey, it sounds like the equivalent of a photocopy of a picture of an apple.  Passing the signal through the SSL is the apple.  Its not really that Pro Tools is flawed, it just doesn’t impart any character.  Now I completely understand that the sound of epic recordings comes is possible because it has passed through the CONSOLE.  API, Neve, and SSL.  That’s a really small list of game changing sonic quality imparted from the console.  And after working on the SSL for 2 days, I TOTALLY get it now.  It doesn't hurt to have Apogee converters either though...
What did I learn? (most of these were reminders, but this experience drove these home)
1. I actually am pretty good at this mixing thing (given the proper tools). J
2. Doesn’t matter how skilled you are if the sonic tools are no good.
3. I need to be working outside the church in a place like Pure Mix to stay sharp and encouraged.
4. I REALLY don’t like mixing in a gymnatorium with a horribly designed loudspeaker system.
5. The SSL is really as good as all the hype.  Its magic.
6. There is no way to get the mix right (particularly the low end) on mixes without a room & loudspeakers that properly translate the sonic information.
And what does this mean for sound in the church?
1.  For our new building project.  Room acoustics & sonic tools MUST be done right.  There is no substitute.  Improper room acoustics & poorly designed loudspeakers cannot be overcome by “mixing”.
2.  While its too late to do anything about room acoustics in the gymnatorium, replacing the loudspeaker system is a necessity.  Its so wrong that no one could possibly make it sound “good”.
I believe I can illustrate this to our music pastor on Monday by tossing him a copy of one of the mixes I worked on over the weekend.  I could just hand it to him and say, “THIS is what I am capable of”.  Lets figure out how to get the tools we need for live sound.  I think I’ll do that…

No comments:

Post a Comment